Friday, December 19, 2008

My Birthday is better than Santa Claus

I have been using Santa Claus as a motivation for my kids to be good since at least Thanksgiving, maybe longer. It never really works very well, and I have decided that my kids really don't care. One year Santa really did leave Shelby coal. When my parents came for breakfast on Christmas morning they had all of her presents and told her that Santa must have gotten mixed up. I wanted to see how she would react if Santa really didn't bring presents to her Christmas morning. She had presents from Mom and Dad to and that was it. Guess what! She didn't care! She was glad to have gifts from us, and there were the movies that Santa brought for the whole family, she was grateful for those too. She was very excited when Nana and Papa showed up with her presents, but that was when I realized threatening with no presents from Santa doesn't work for my kids.

Well, today is my birthday (I'm 35, doesn't seem quite right, but I'm ok with it.) The girls tried to make me breakfast. They made baked potato chips, Mike made Oatmeal. There was no fighting! They were very excited to give me the presents that they had made with construction paper, Popsicle sticks, pom poms, and glitter glue. Mike even got them to unload the dishwasher together, without fighting, by telling them they should do it together because its my birthday.

It should be my birthday everyday!

6 comments:

mindy said...

Every once in a while we threaten that Santa might not bring anything, but I don't think my boys care either. (Must be that Shipley gene, right?)
Happy Birthday!! Hope the rest of the day is as good as the way it started!

Hayley said...

Happy Birthday Emity!

Melanie said...

Sounds like good modivation. I hope it lasts all day. Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Em! No, 35 doesn't seem quite right. But hey, that's what I thought in October and I'm alright with it too. Hope you have a great day!

Tori said...

Sounds like a GREAT birthday! Hope you continue to have a good day. I love you!

TheFirstWard said...

Hope you had a great birthday Emity!