Friday, September 26, 2008

Walking Dogs

About a year ago, after reading Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion. I was trying to come up with a way that Shelby could earn money. Something that was real (not just me making up work) and meaningful to her. My brother in law, Mike, has a nephew that likes snakes. Tiffanie was telling me that he started selling mice to people with snakes. As creepy as that is, it got me thinking. What does Shelby love? Dogs. She has to walk Keno everyday, maybe she could get a couple of other dogs to walk too, since she has to go anyway, she could make money while she's at it. Darren and I also thought she could start paying for dance, not all of it, just $5 for every day of the week that she has a class. So if class was 2 days a week, she would pay $10 a month. She would also have money to pay tithing on. When I presented the plan to her, she cried. How could I be so mean. Mike talked to her about his money making endeavors when he was a kid, and she started to warm up to the idea. We decided we would make fliers and give them to people with little dogs. It has been wonderful! She has 4 dogs she walks each week plus Keno. She loves the dogs, and has hired Sarah to help her on days that she has more than 2 dogs to walk. She pays Sarah a dollar a week. I love what this has taught my girls. They have to be responsible to show up on time, they have to manage their money. Shelby has since opened a savings account that she pays 10% to each month. Plus, I have not bought her a single webkinz, she uses her own money.

I was so glad they stopped by the house last week with the dogs so I could get pictures of them with the dogs! Thank you to those that have been kind enough to let my girls walk their dogs. Their relationship with the dogs and the owners has blessed their lives and it touches my hear too.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

You're such a good mom. I love the fact that you use everything as a teaching moment. You're quite an inspiration to me.

TheFirstWard said...

It looks like they enjoy their work. You have some darling girls. I love what you are teaching them. Keep up the good work girls!

Anonymous said...

I love it! About 2 years ago we started a small allowance ($1 per each year in age each time Daddy gets paid.) They get it when they start kindergarten. It isn't much but it is mostly for a teaching tool. Anyway, there are some strings attached. 10% to tithing,and mission/college fund. They also have to buy their own treats at the checkout, and other things they want if it isn't Christmas or Birthday. Once they turn 8 they are responsible for buying their own gifts for friends' birthdays and Christmas. It is amazing the progress we have seen! Wes has an additional savings where he put 10% for bigger ticket items he wants. My hope is that as the time comes that they get their own jobs they will have developed a habit of putting money away and in the right places. I also hope that by the time they reach Jr. High/High School I could let them know their school clothes budget and let them make the decisions and even have an occasional turn at the grocery shopping. Kudos to Shelby! I love seeing her out with the doggies! :)