Friday, November 7, 2008

Time for me

I have been trying to figure out what it is that my family needs, what it is that I should be doing for my husband, my kids, our home school. The answers have come to me from varying sources, but have all been the same. I'm no good to anyone if I don't take care of myself. I've never thought of myself as kind or putting others needs before my own, but as I've thought about how I spend my time and energy I realize I put what I want at the bottom of my to do list. I'm not looking for sympathy, because I think every mom does the same thing. I am grateful for this life that I've been given and maybe one way to show appreciation to my Heavenly Father is to enjoy my life, and not add more pressure and more guilt. I'm so tired of guilt, its exhausting. I quit guilt!

Its time to unite! Moms of the world; do one thing today that you want to do. One thing that doesn't have to be done, but that is on your mind that you would like to do. I've actually done almost 3 today! I am taking an online scrapbooking class, and I started on that project (its a gratitude memory box-I'm so excited about it), I left a message with my favorite hair stylist to get my hair done, and I'm blogging. I love blogging. I love to read others thoughts and I love having a forum to share my own. I am also going out with my hubby tonight for his birthday (its on Sunday), and I am so excited about that! I would love to hear what you do today just for you, so leave me a comment and let me know!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm not a mom so I really don't count, but I did do something fun today. I went to lunch with Jackie because it's her birthday. Tell Shelby and Darren happy birthday!

Hayley said...

so i know i'm not a mom either, but i too suffer from guilt over other things. at home or at school - there is always something i could do better it seems. but thats usually cause i'm over indulging myself in the "me" things. but i do think its important for moms to set aside some personal time, too often i watch moms get overwhelmed and overworked. but good luck quitting guilt - if you really figure it out, share the secret!

Anonymous said...

Okay this is going to sound weird but today I de-junked and reorganized my "office". Really I don't have an office, but the kitchen desk where the computer resides, cupboard above, and new filing cabinet I purchased suffice. I love to reorganize it is very therapeutic. I know that overall it benefits my family, but it actually matters most to me. I feel great! Oh...and I blogged. ;) I'm back at jennymemoirs.blogspot.com

Tiffanie said...

I have been wanting to get a manicure for a while now, but just the thought of doing it makes me feel guilty - the time away from my family, especially now that I am working full time, the money, etc.., but I am going to do it. Thanks for the "permission".

Tori said...

I feel like crap most of the time, so NOTHING gets done at my house! :) So, I guess sleeping in late and ignoring the house work is how I'm pampering myself. (Not really, cuz I look at the way my house is right now, and I'm not too happy.) This too shall pass. Hopefully. :)