Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Grandpa



My Grandpa died yesterday. This is kind of an old 4 generations picture with him, my grandma, my mom and dad, and my girls. Look how happy he looks. That is how I think of him. The picture I think I love best is from when I was young. Tori is riding on his shoulders and I am walking a long side of them. We are camping and wearing our matching Mickey Mouse sweatshirts. He was the biggest guy I knew, as a kid that was a little indimidating, but he was so much fun, especially when we went camping (I loved riding trees) or snowmobiling. Today I am sad. I am grateful for his life. I am grateful to be a part of the legacy he leaves behind. As an adult I started to see his tender heart. He would cry as we left after each visit. He was full of stories, I got good at talking with Grandma while he told a completely different story. His stories have been our Christmas gifts for the last several years, I think I'll spend some time reading them today. I am glad my kids knew him and even more glad that I know him. I will really miss him.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Hayley said...

i love his smile in this picture.

i only met him on 2 occasions, but i'm glad that i got to.

garrett was telling me lots of stories about him last night. you guys had a wonderful childhood with him!

Jared said...

I expect this will be the first of several blog posts among the family about grandpa. What a great way to memorialize him, by writing a little bit of your history with him. I am having a tough time keeping it together today and your post won't help with that, but in spite of that I am glad I took a minute to read it (thank goodness it is lunch time :) ). I was thinking about the same thing you talked about in your blog, that as I got older I started to see more the sweet, gentle, and caring man that he was. I love the smile on his face in your picture. That is just perfect!
Thanks.

Melanie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. Grandparents are wonderful! Silly me, here I am all alone, crying, missing your grandpa for you and I never even met him. I hope you are all doing well. I love you all!

mindy said...

I'm sorry for your loss...

Kelly Hill said...

The loss of someone we love is never easy. I love that you're reflecting on the great memories you had with him. Celebrate his life and the love you shared. There will be sadness, so don't be afraid to give in to it... it's very real. I'm sorry you have to experience this great loss. Let me know if there's anything we can do to help make it easier.

Also, how exactly do you ride a tree? : )

garrett said...

I'm having a hard time focusing at work. I keep thinking of all those camping trips, too. I'm sure there will be a few more blog posts for Grandpa. I find myself wishing I had more pictures of him! His smile in your picture here is awesome.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. No matter the age it is always hard to say goodbye...

Tony and Erica said...

Im sorry to hear about it. Its good that you have all those wonderful memories to remember him by.

Garth said...

Thia is Tori, not Garth. :) Very nice post Emity. I started one yesterday, but had to take a break. The tree riding was one of the first things I told my girls about yesterday when we had a few minutes to ourselves while we were cleaning the studio.