Tuesday, May 19, 2009

You know, Ali.....

If you know Sarah you might have heard of Ali. Ali showed up about 3 years ago when Sarah was in preschool. She started telling us stories about her fairy friend Ali. I asked her preschool teacher if she had been talking about fairies or read a story about a fairy named Ali, she hadn't. Ali goes through things that Sarah goes through, hears about or wishes happened to her. Ali has a mom and dad. Her mom used to drink coffee until she stopped because they are Mormons and Heavenly Father told them to stop(just to be clear I may have a caffeine addiction, but its strictly soda). She has a little sister named Ruby who gets into all kinds of trouble that Ali has to help her out of. She also has a brother named Brian.

When Ali first showed up a was a little worried, because she seemed so real to Sarah. Anytime Sarah started in on an Ali story (You know, Ali-they all start the same) we would hurry and remind her that Ali was pretend. Now the stories start: You know, Ali-my imaginary fairy... I've stopped worrying about Ali, because I realized that she helps Sarah figure life out, and deal with what's going on around her. For example once one of our neighbors crashed on her bike, well then Ali crashed on her bike and was hurt and sad, but she was ok. I know that someday Ali will disappear, and that will be kind of sad. Ali reminds me of what an imagination Sarah has, and I hope that she never looses that. I thought I should take a minute to write about it, before we all forget about Ali.

4 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

That is so sweet! Sarah is such a doll.

I know I've mentioned it before, but I'm a huge fan of things that children sometimes do to bring comfort to themselves. Things like sucking a thumb or having an imaginary fairy friend. These things are not detrimental and can actually be of great value to little people who sometimes find it hard to soothe themselves otherwise.

You're an awesome mom! It's wonderful that you're allowing Sarah to use her imagination for whatever suits her. She's such a doll.

I hope Ali doesn't disappear any time soon. : )

garrett said...

I only recently found out about Ali. And then later found out she was a fairy. And had a brother. Very creative, that Sarah!

mindy said...

I love it. I love that Ali has a whole family.

Melanie said...

When I found out about Ali, she was 17 and I was quite confused as to why a 17 year old was playing with Sarah (I think she was about 5 at the time). It was at the end of the story I found out that Ali was imaginary.