Friday, June 12, 2009

My First 5k


I ran my first 5k last Saturday! It was awesome! My goal was to run the whole thing-no walking, and I did it. I wasn't going for a certain time, I just didn't want to embarrass myself, by finishing last or falling, or getting sick, or something like that. As I got close to the end of the race I started thinking about everything that has lead up to this race; losing 108 pounds (not a number I like to talk about, but there it is), gaining 40 back, and losing 20 of it again (I still have 20 more to go), learning how to exercise, and becoming any kind of runner. I'm glad I didn't wait until I was at my goal weight or some other thing that in my mind would have made it perfect, before I ran this race, I set the goal and trained for it the way I am right now. I'm glad that I had so many friends there and especially that I got to run with Tiff.

MY family was awesome! Darren loaded up the kids, including Carter, and took them to cheer us on along the way, then they followed us up to the finish line. My dad was there cheering us on. As I came around the final turn my family was there at the finish line still cheering. Seeing Shelby jumping up and down made me start to cry, not a good combination after running for 35 minutes.

I'm not ready to become a big runner, but I know that I could if I wanted to. I have to admit that I am pretty proud of myself that at 35 I ran my first 5k!

10 comments:

Tori said...

I think you two are AWESOME! Way to go! And thanks for coming to the show!

love for seven said...

You were amazing on Saturday! You set a goal and conquered the heck out of it! I am so proud of you!!! Great work! I wanted to cry myself when I saw your dad there. How cool was that! You are a lucky gal to have such a wonderful family. Again, I am so proud of you!

Paul, Annabell, and Kidlings said...

You're so awesome.This is an awesome accomplishment. YOu're such a great example to me. Thanks.

TheFirstWard said...

I was so proud of you both! I'm sorry the girl got right between you and me and ruined the picture of you at the finish line. But what an accomplishment!

We also enjoyed visiting with you and your family on Sunday.

We love you guys!

Kelly Hill said...

Em - my heart is so happy for you. What a great accomplishment. You and Mandi are inspirations to me in such a grand way. Way to set a goal and train RIGHT NOW instead of waiting for the perfect time. I get caught up in that sort of thing as well. You've done a great thing and should feel so good.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

congratulations em! i'm proud of you for setting and accomplishing your goal!

The Brown Family said...

I'm clicking over from Mandy's blog to say congrats! I just read this post and I had.no.idea all that you have accomplished with your weight loss and fitness! Way to go! I already think that you are awesome, and now I know how strong you are!

Kim Brown

Melanie said...

You're first 5K and in 35 minutes. I'm very impressed. Way to go! Maybe someday I'll be able to run on with you. I often thought about it, but too chicken to try.

Tony and Erica said...

Way to go Em- that is so awesome! I was sad I missed it but I thought about you guys that morning as we were freezing at the ward camp out- Good Job!

mindy said...

Congratulations Emity! This is an awesome accomplishment!