Monday, July 21, 2008

Homemaking vs. Housekeeping

Darren and I had an interesting conversation yesterday that has kept rolling around in my head. I have been reading the Worldwide Leadership training pamphlet, and I was looking back through the notes that I took the day that it was broadcast. I had written "A lack of homemaking leads to emotional Homelessness." Darren and I then started talking about homemaking and that too often we equate homemaking to a clean house. I believe that there are principles to homemaking and certainly keeping our homes neat is one principle, but I think there is more to homemaking than a clean house. As I thought back to my home growing up I remember comparing our home to my friends houses. It seemed that our house was never quite as clean as everyone else's house, I am sure now that my point of view was somewhat off. We had awesome neighbors, the family across the street was like a second home to me. JoAnne was my Young Women's leader and a second Mom, I could talk to her about anything, and the awesome thing as I look back now was that she always backed up my parents. It seemed like her house was always clean and one day when I was saying something about our house not being as clean she said "You guys have 6 kids, I only have 3". JoAnne taught me something great that day. It wasn't just about having a clean house. It seems like she went on to list all the things my mom did that she didn't. My mom is a great seamstress and sewed a lot of our clothes. She kept 6 kids organized and got us where we needed to be, when we needed to be there, and we participated in a lot of lessons and sports and stuff. She didn't (doesn't) like to cook, but she still taught me how to read and follow a recipe. So as I think about homemaking I think its looking at your family, seeing what your family needs and meeting those needs. Its about having an idea of what will and won't happen in your home and building life around those values. It does involve cooking and cleaning, but if that was all, then everyone that hires a cook and a housekeeper would be a good homemaker as well. That is why I think Sis. Beck says that women in the Church should be the best homemakers. We know what should go on in our homes and what shouldn't, because of that knowledge our homes reflect that.

Another Em rant to start your Monday.

2 comments:

Tori said...

That is a great Em rant! I have to agree with everything you wrote. I remember comparing our house to other's as well -- Brown's house always seemed spotless. It's something I still do today, but then I have to remember, my life is different then theirs. I have a one year old, keeping a house clean with her around is pretty tricky. Crud, I have kids, keeping a house clean with them around is pretty tricky! But the nice thing is that they know how to clean up their messes, Camryn will even put things away, even if she gets them back out right after. Teaching our children is so important and your right, that's being a great homemaker. There is so much more to life than just a clean house. And your right about mom too, I think she did a pretty good job with her family. Working and raising 6 kids cannot be an easy job.
O.K., I barely remember the memory you wrote on my blog. The more I think about, the more it comes back to me. Very funny. But your right, I don't like to be in trouble. Classic Tori for sure. I can't help it. :)

Anonymous said...

Em, I love to read your blog. One thing I have truly learned is that we are more alike than I have ever realized. Many of your posts are as if you could read my mind and put my thoughts into words...so similar. I too have thought about this homemaking vs. housekeeping matter. It is the biggest thing that stuck out in my mind from the worldwide training. There is a huge difference between the two. Housekeeping is definitely just one aspect of homemaking. I understand this in theory but applying this is a different story. I am the oldest of 7 children and I don't remember growing up in a spotless home. However, I do remember a huge emphasis being placed on cleaning. In fact, that is one of the only things I remember. Unfortunately, the word "clean" seems to come out of my mouth more than I'd like. I tend to compare myself to others' without considering the circumstances that make it possible for them to have a cleaner or more organized home than mine. Your neighbor was very wise to be able to point out the things that your mom did well and the difference in dynamics of your family and hers. I hope I can become better at that...really soon. :)