Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Confessions

Its been a little while since I posted anything, and I always hate it when I leave a rant up for too long, so its time I confessed to what I've been doing the last few days. I have been reading, that sounds great right? I read a mindless book that I like called "A Year of Living Famously". It took me a day to read. I thought that was so much fun, what other mindless stuff could I read. So, I decided to give the "Twilight" books a try. We had to go to Target on Pioneer Day, so I bought the first book. I read a little on Friday, and then after Darren and I got home from seeing Batman on Saturday I read half of the book, until I decided I really needed to get some sleep. I finished it on Sunday(yes, nice Sabbath day reading, but those of you who have read these books will understand). The funny thing about this book, (aside from the story-seriously, try to explain the story without sounding ridiculous) is that it was recommended to me about two years ago. I went to Barnes and Noble to try to find it. The people working there had no idea who Stephanie Meyer was, can you imagine such a thing today? When I found out it was about vampires I decided against it, because I really don't like vampires. I've seen enough vampire movies that just gross me out. However, I have been so intrigued by the popularity of these books, and the age range of people (ok female people) that like them that I was curious. This was the perfect mindless read, totally romantic, what can I say, I am hooked, and must finish the series. Well Monday morning I called my friend that I knew had the books, but she wasn't home. I had to read the next book-no question. I went to the Library with Tiff, and looked for it there, no luck. I had to have the next one to read that night, so I went to Target and bought the next two, I played it safe. So I started "New Moon" Monday evening, and finished it Tuesday afternoon. I am now half way through the third book "Eclipse". I'm taking a break to blog because I just keep laughing at myself. Darren keeps laughing at me too, because when I tell him(a serious sci-fi, fantasy reader) about these vampires he just chuckles. I mean vampires that aren't hurt by the sun, they glitter, what's not funny about that? So, I have them all now, and fully intend to buy the new one on Saturday, let me know if you want to borrow them, they are a great summer read!
This post is titled confessions which hints at more than one, so here is my second confession. I bought the new George Micheal CD. I saw him on Good Morning America on Thursday (I must have been extremely open to suggestion on Pioneer Day), and hearing his music made me confess that I like it. So, I looked at it when I was at Target, but they wanted too much so I bought it at Wal*mart. The funniest part of the interview on GMA was when he said that women love him for his mind. I've never thought about what could be on George Micheal's mind, unless "Wake me up, before you go go" is something deep that I'm missing? Anyway the CD is fun and I like it. I guess you could say my summer really is about being mindless, but I am having a great time!

4 comments:

Tori said...

Yea for the Twilight series! They are fun to read. I was finishing up the third book on one of our trips up to Salt Lake and Taylor wanted me to read out loud, so I did. By the time we reached Mom's house, Garth was curious to know how it ended and read the end of the book too! But they are just fun to read and very hard to put down once you get started. I would love to borrow the fourth book from you when you're finished. I borrowed the first three from my dancers.

ashley said...

I'm just glad I'm not the only one in the ward that is obsessed enough to read them all in a week! They are so good and so addicting! I'm seriously thinking about attending the release party just so I can get my hands on Breaking Dawn a little bit early.

I read the first two during a road trip to St. George. I had to wait to buy the 3rd, but I read it in a day. I have to admit that I've always been a slow reader and I have never read a book in a day before.

I read a little bit to Jarom and he made fun of it. Now he's just not allowed to talk about it at all. Leave it to him to spoil all the fun. :)

ash

garrett said...

Here's my confession... I've read those Twilight books, too. And I HATE them... I read them because there was a girl I liked that loved the books, but I can't stand them... I won't get into details, because nearly every girl I know would want to beat me, and I'm smart enough to live and let live.

I think it's a crack up that my sisters have read them! You guys are funny. I surely don't want to read the last book, but you could tell me how it ends.

Jared said...

I agree with Garrett, and I think it's kind of funny that you guys are so into those books (I hear my kids at school talk about them all the time.) I took my students here in PA on a field trip today and asked them if they had read those books and two of them freaked out and got all excited and wanted to tell me all about them. (I politely declined.) Then, I asked them what they would think of their mom's reading those books, and they freaked out again and told me about this website that is just for mom's who like these books just as much (or more) than their kids. I thought I would include it for you to enjoy, too.

www.twilightmoms.com

Now you know you are not alone. I guess we all have our guilty little pleasures.