Friday, July 11, 2008

Relief Society

I've been thinking about Relief Society lately. When I moved into this ward 8 years ago I was called to be a Primary teacher with Darren, which we really liked, but that meant I couldn't go to Relief Society From there I was called into Young Women's as the secretary, still couldn't attend the Sunday meeting. Then I moved to the Primary presidency, and served there until three years ago. While I still get to serve in the Primary (which I love) I'm not working with the children on Sunday anymore, so I go to Relief Society. This was a hard switch for me. First, I had a hard time sitting still for that long (its crazy that we thinks kids should be able to do it). Then I thought this is group therapy for some women, and time to "toot my own horn" for other women, and I struggled. I realized I had a bad attitude that I needed to fix. My good friend, Carma, told me that when she first joined the church she realized that it helped women to have somewhere to talk about their struggles. So, I started to change my complaint about "Relief Society being group therapy" attitude. Later during Sunday School Bro. Stock had asked the class to share how they had been successful at doing something, he added that it wasn't bragging because he had asked for examples. That helped me change my women "tooting their own horn" attitude. Later on I was at a fireside where the speaker said that if an "Enrichment" activity didn't sound like something that would enrich your life you didn't need to feel guilty about not going. I've used that excuse A LOT for not going to enrichment. Through all of this I have felt that I really needed to get over these bad feelings about Relief Society. So I started looking at lds.org and studying Relief Society, I would really feel the spirit of what this program is supposed to be. Plus, Sis. Beck's (the General R.S. Pres.) talks are awesome I love that she says things straight and doesn't beat around the bush or sugar coat what she is prompted to say.
Last Sunday during the R.S. lesson we discussed how we all have problems. We were studying Elder Wirthlin's talk from last Conference. We all need love and no one is perfect. This isn't a church of perfect people, we all show up on Sunday with our trials that we are trying to overcome. I think I need R.S. for that reason. I need the strength that I get by being around righteous strong women, that struggle just like I do. Last night I went to Enrichment, even though I was tired, and Darren had just gotten home from scout camp late the night before and we hadn't spent anytime together except for sleeping. I thought I would put this new idea that maybe I do need R.S. to the test. I had a good time, it was nice to enjoy the company of my friends and neighbors. I am going to work harder at reaching out to my neighbors, because I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that struggles with Relief Society. Its not easy for me to talk to someone I don't know, and I frequently feel like a freak. I also tend to have thoughts that people don't really want to be bothered by me, or that someone that has only met me once won't remember me the next time they see me, so this goal of reaching out is not easy or just the nice Sunday School answer it really means something to me.
I hope this wasn't too long and boring, but its all part of what "Keep Moving Forward" means to me.

5 comments:

Tony and Erica said...

I always have felt the same way, besides that im a really young mom I thought people didnt want to get to know me. Now i have to teach relief society. i think that has helped the most to understand and enjoy RS. I thought the activity last night help alot to make us all feel a little more comfortable. It nice to be in good company

Elizabeth Ward said...

I used to be scared of R.S. but I have learned to see and appreciate the different qualities people have and I believe that every person that I get to know, on any level, will make me better. When I pushed away my judgments of people and began loving the crazy that everybody has in them, I started to love R.S. We are all here to learn from each other and build each other up. That is what R.S. can do if you let it. Attitude is everything.

love for seven said...

I had so much fun with you last night. It was good being around you again! I think we all have the desire to bepart of something that is important, maybe it's Relief Society! I love your new blog look! It is soooo cute, I'm jelous!

Kelly Hill said...

Great post, Em! I'm not sure why but I've always LOVED RS. Maybe it's the voyeur in me who enjoys hearing about other peoples issues. That whole "group therapy" thing. ; ) Actually, I just love the lessons and how I can be taught by sensitive, emotional women. It's always easier for me to learn when it touches a deep part of my heart. Was that sappy or what?

I love your page! What a nice surprise to see something different!

Tiffanie said...

There is such immense power in a group of women united together, under the direction of God, working to better themselves and the lives of those around them. I learned this firsthand when I was serving in Relief Society. I was able to look beyond my own issues with “Sunday Relief Society” and focus on the bigger picture. If Satan can get women to isolate themselves, and not feel a part of God’s organization for women on the earth, he wins, plain and simple. Ever since catching the vision of what the Lord intended Relief Society to be, I have tried to focus more on uniting with the women of my ward for God’s purposes, and less on the things that make me want to pull away. It isn’t always easy, but I keep trying because I know it is important.