Monday, March 30, 2009

My Shelby

I've been thinking I need to do a post that is entirely devoted to Shelby. I look back at these pictures and others (I would have put up baby pictures if I had any on my computer) and think how did we get here? Where did my baby go, and how did she go so quickly? Something happens as kids get older, they leave the cute little kid phase and move on to something else that seems to get forgotten, or at least not ooooed and awed over like when they are little. As a parent I still think she is cute and amazing, but in different ways than when she was little. Life is way more fun, and we have much more freedom, I love that!

The bond between mothers and daughters is interesting to me. (My major in college was Family and Human Development so all family relationships are interesting to me.) It is especially interesting when a daughter is also an oldest child. I know I am hard on Shelby I expect a lot from her, more than I expect from Sarah. Part of that is because I have Shelby that does so much, so Sarah doesn't have to. I can honestly say that Shelby does not let me down. Sure I get frustrated and disappointed, but I also realize that I expect a lot of her, so I try harder to look past the frustration and I find myself asking for her forgiveness A LOT.
I, too am an oldest child. I know what that feels like. I love that when my dad talks about my birth he says that he was glad they had a girl, because Mom would have a friend. I don't know what my mom would say about the kind of friend I am, but I like how my relationship with Shelby is changing. We can have interesting conversations, and I enjoy that. I know that my mom relied a lot on me, and I think I helped keep our house running. Shelby definitely helps keep our house running.
Shelby is awesome because she is her own person. She knows what she likes, and doesn't care if she is different from her friends. She is a lot like her dad in that way, and many others. She plays WOW with Darren (even though I don't understand what they are talking about, its fun to listen to them and see the bond that they have-it would be interesting to hear him talk about the bond between a father and a daughter). She is the dog whisperer in training. She loves to read, her favorite is fantasy-just like Darren. What can I say? She's my Shelby, my sweet girl, and I love her!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

love for seven said...

Beautiful post, just like Shelby! She really has grown into an amazing girl(almost a Young Woman)! I have enjoyed watching her blossom. She is so smart and creative. I agree that she has a unique gift with the four legged friends. She will go far in life, look at how far she has already come. You are so lucky to have her, as you already know.

Melanie said...

I love the post about Shelby. I've always been impressed with how if she likes something, she sticks to it. No matter what other people say and she always draws others to what she likes. She's pretty amazing. I sure do love her.

Hayley said...

i love that girl. she's so sweet.

garrett said...

She is a cutie! Looking forward to seeing her and you guys this weekend!

TheFirstWard said...

I have always been amazed by Shebly. She was darling as a baby and when she was a toddler. She has a great mind, (maybe from reading fantasy books). I was very impressed with her at the Family Home Evening tha Garrett taught and challeneged all of us to draw something that could not have any of the parts of any animal that we have seen or know about. We all gave up, (That was the point of the exercise),but not Shelby! She was focused and determined to show Garrett it could be done. She spent hours working, showing Garrett, redrawing again and again until Garrett had to give in and commend Shelby for doing the impossible.

Shelby is a fantastic young lady and we really enjoy being arounc her!

P.S. You were a great oldest daughter. You helped so much around the house. You were given a lot of extra responsiblity, because you were the oldest, and helped DeAnne and I raise your yonger siblings.

We Love you and Shelby, and all of our children and grand-children!

Tori said...

What a neat post! I loved reading it. It made me think a lot about Taylor and I's relationship. Similar in so many ways. (I think we've talked about it before.) You were and are a great big sister! (even if it took me a few years to figure that out. :) hehehe, but girls will be girls, right?!)