Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sarah -No Training wheels


Sarah has always loved to ride bikes. She got a bike for her birthday (I think) when she was 3 (I think-what a bad mom I am that I don't remember for sure, or maybe I'm just getting old). She has outgrown that bike, and wants a new one. Well, Sarah sucks her thumb. Darren and I have told her she could have a new bike (or scooter) if she stopped sucking her thumb. Bribery worked with my mom to get her to stop sucking her thumb, we hoped it was genetic. Skip ahead, Carter moves in with a bike and a scooter. Sarah is in heaven! Carter's bike is bigger than her old bike so she would ride it when she could. She got very good at riding his bike, the training wheels never touched the ground. With the nice weather last week all three kids wanted to be outside. Shelby has her awesome bike, and usually Carter picks his scooter over his bike, so Sarah would ride his bike. Well Carter's scooter was at Jared and Liz's and then it was in the trunk of Tiff's car, so he wanted to ride his bike. Mike adjusted the training wheels for him so he could ride. Sarah, being the little thinker that she is pulled Shelby's old bike out of the garage and asked Mike to fix it up for her. He lowered the seat, pumped up the tires, and tightened the handle bars. What a nice uncle. She took off!

This is my first attempt at video on my blog, I hope it works.

Sarah says that she will stop sucking her thumb when she turns 7, which is on April 15. We are planning to get her a new bike for her birthday. I could do a whole post about Sarah's thumb, I'll save that for another day-maybe.



This is Shelby on her awesome bike that she bought herself.

6 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

I sucked my thumb until I was nine. For some reason I never did in public, just at bedtime. I'm a huge believer in thumb-sucking. It was a way for me to get some nurturance and to soothe myself. Don't get me wrong - I'm also very glad I had the sense to stop at the age of nine. I don't know how I stopped, but I just did. Sometimes the right bribe will do. Good luck!!

And way to go Sarah!!!! I love seeing a newbie on two wheels.

TheFirstWard said...

Way to go Sarah! How are you going to keep up with her now?

Steph said...

I remember seeing Sarah ride that big bike last week up and down the street. Karianne just taught herself last week. In fact I think she's by Mandi's fence in the background of your video. Way to go Sarah. I can't believe how big she's getting. I remember when she was born! Time flies! I like to say they're getting older but we're getting younger!

Tori said...

I love it when things just happen! Way to go Sarah. If you have some major insight on the thumb, let me know. I was just thinking the other day, now would be about the time I would begin to take away a binki, but a thumb? You should see her poor thumb. It is a mess and she picks at it too. She'll still suck on it when it's bleeding. I'm so impressed with Shelby and her money saving. Taylor gets any money and it's "when can we go to the store Mom?"

Melanie said...

That little Sarah, she's so crafty. She's riding great! I'm impressed with Shelby's ability to save money and get what she wants. An IPOD and a bike. That's awesome! I can't wait til you guys come to visit.

Hayley said...

crap, i thought i posted a comment a long time ago. now i can't remember what i said, either. i'm impressed at shelby's self control, too though. i am not so good!