Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Jane Eyre

I finished Jane Eyre yesterday. I think it could go on my favorite books list! Jane has a terribly hard life, so when she finds love I was so excited, and then it turns out that he is already married. I got so caught up in the love story that I was thinking it would be ok for Jane to be his mistress, his wife is mad, and he was tricked into marrying her, everyone would understand. Then Jane says " Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for moments as this..." that line pulled me back to reality and I realized I wasn't just reading a nice story, but a classic. I loved that Jane did the right thing for the right reason. How often are we confronted with situations, and we rationalize our choices, instead of following our own principles? Jane didn't do what was easy or would be approved by society, she did what was hard, because it was right. I loved this book, there is so much to learn from this story!

1 comment:

Andrew Clarke said...

Hi
This should really be an e-mail but I could not see an address. I love books as well, and realize the value of some of them is in what they teach and illustrate. Writing is my own ministry from God and if you like books such as The Chronicles of Narnia, Christian fantasy, may I suggest title to try? I wrote "Outcasts of Skagaray" because I felt strongly about the cruelty of child abandonment, as ungodly societies practice, and wanted to write a Christian story protesting against it. In my story, the outcast children are used by God to teach a critical lesson to the ones who rejected them. If you want to know more, please see www.threeswans.com.au If you read it I would be delighted. But if not I still greet you as a sister in the Lord. Blessings.