Friday, June 13, 2008

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy

After our trip to Logan, in April, Darren and I thought it would be fun to take the girls to Ephraim, to visit Snow College. Darren and I met during our first year at Snow, so this is where it all began. Plus, we try to talk about college whenever we can to get them pointed in that direction, so visits to college campus' are a must. My parents did the same thing with my brother's and sisters and me, it must have done some good even if I did decide at an early age that I definitely did not want to go to BYU (not that I had the grades that made that an option, but I digress).

We thought it would be even more fun to go during the Manti pageant. Darren's parents have some property in Fairview so we decided to camp. We didn't make it through the entire pageant, Sarah woke up about 10 minutes before it ended and was crying because she was so cold, so we left.


This trip was a little different for me than our trip to Logan. I had a great time in Logan, going to USU. I had great roommates, I really figured out what I wanted to do with my life, I got engaged, and then got married. Everything that college should be. Oh yeah, I did graduate too. The thing that made this trip different was that as I walked around the campus of Snow College I remembered how hard life was. I was always worried about my grades, that during my first year weren't very good. Meeting Darren was great! Saying good bye when he left for his mission was hard. My good friend at the time also left on a mission a year later while I was still going to Snow. It was a time to grow up and learn some hard lessons, like you have to study to get good grades, and if you don't get good grades they take away your financial aid, and if they take away your financial aid, all the studying in the world doesn't matter when you can't go to school. I also had lots of roommate drama. Note to Moms: If the kids don't really like each other when they are in high school, its not a good idea for them to live together. That might be a good topic for a future post: What I learned from living with 27 different girls over 4 years.

So, why is this post titled Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy? Two reasons. First, I did figure out a lot about who I was and who I wanted to be. I learned that I could do hard things, I actually made the dean's list the next year. Quite a leap from academic probation. I figured out how to live with different kinds of people. By the time I went to USU I knew what to do and how to do it and I got to have a lot more fun.

My most inspiring thought came as I was watching the pageant. There was Mormon handing off the plates to his son Moroni, and going off to battle knowing that he would die. As Moroni walks off all alone thinking "Where I go mattereth not." I thought about my life now. I know this world is changing and things seem to be getting harder, and there seems to be a lot to be worried about. But, I felt so grateful that I'm not alone, like Moroni was. I still have my family. I still have great friends. I most of all I have the gospel. This came to my inbox this week, and I've thought about it a lot.
"We all go through different life experiences. Some are filled with joy, and others with sorrow and uncertainty. . . .
". . . Aren't the restored gospel of Jesus Christ and our membership in His Church great reasons to rejoice?"
(Dieter F. Uchtdorf, ""Have We Not Reason to Rejoice?"" Ensign, Nov. 2007, 18)
I've been reading the Conference Ensign this week, and have found a lot of joy and comfort in the words of our leaders. There is much to find joy in. I am so grateful for my family, my home, Darren's good job that lets me be home with my family. I am so grateful for the gospel it is the good news. I love my Savior. I just want to put some happiness out there!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you. Just what I needed this morning. I wish you posted more often. Pretty much every post uplifts me. Even if it is seeing that you have struggles too and push forward with faith. This post lifted me in more than one way. I also went to Snow 91-92 (I think we already discovered that.) The good old Snow College sign...aaahhhh memories. It was a hard year for me in many aspects, but I still look back with fondness on some of my time there. I also learned a lot. Seeing the temple as beautiful as it is. John and I were married there. I also spent much time parked just outside the gates of the temple. I would look upon it and seek strength/comfort. John was on his mission during this time and I was lonely. Anyway...maybe my next flashback will be Snow pictures. Thanks again Em. Good luck at the recital this morning. I am assuming since you are an official student you'll be joining the rest of them displaying your blossoming talent. :) Sorry such a long comment.

Tiffanie said...

I always say I hated Snow, but after reading your post & refecting on my time there, I realize my experience was a lot like yours. It was a time to grow up and decide what I realy wanted from life, and that was hard.
Thank you so much for your post today, it was very uplifting - a good reminder to keep moving forward.
Good luck with your recital!

em said...

Thanks, you guys. That means a lot to me.
The recital was fine, I'm glad its over and I wish I didn't have to play. Oh well, that's one way I'm going to get better.