Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I am making a quilt!


I am reading a book called If You Want To Write for my colloquia (a cool word for book discussion group) this month. It has totally inspired me, not just with a desire to write, but to be creative in general. The author says "Now this creative power is the Holy Ghost." I love that, as I think about how the thought of a new project makes me feel, it makes sense to me to describe that feeling as the Holy Ghost. This thought is was made me decide that I was going to do something. "We have come to think that duty should come first. I disagree. Duty should be a by-product. Writing, the creative effort, the use of imagination, should come first,-at least for some part of every day of your life." I LOVE that! Duty is my biggest hang-up when it comes to doing things I want to do. I think "When I get this load of laundry done or this room dusted or change my sheets, and on and on, then I will scrapbook or whatever". Well this book has sparked in me a desire to make a quilt. I saw the cutest pink and black quilt on Good Things Utah one morning and thought it would be perfect for Shelby's room. So I am going to do it! My mother in law has agreed to help me with the piecing and putting it together. I am so excited. I will post more pictures as I make progress, because I know you all want to see how it comes together-of course you do!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

Ooooo, Oooooo - I want to see the progress! I admire people SOOOO MUCH who can piece quilts. I'm impressed. Way to go!

Tori said...

Good luck with your quilt. I have decided that I need to make one for me too. I don't have a single quilt in my house that I have made! I'm trying to stock up on old levis to make a levi quilt. We'll see how that goes. Some times I think duty stinks! =) Maybe I should look at things in a different light too.

Anonymous said...

I used to be in a book group. It was fun. Love the quilt colors and fabric. I have never pieced something larger than a crib size, but have helped quilt larger sized quilts. Are you going to actually quilt it, or tie it, or have someone machine quilt it? Maybe I'm jumping the gun and you haven't gotten that far yet. Good luck and have fun!

mindy said...

I don't think I've ever really sewn anything in my life...let alone even looked at fabric at the store. Kudos to you for going for this, it'll be great!