Wednesday, April 2, 2008

April Fool's Day


A few years ago on April Fool's Day I made meatloaf cupcakes with colored mashed potato frosting. I got the ideas from Family Fun Magazine (just so you don't think I'm creative on my own). Shelby was excited that we were having cupcakes for dinner. One bite, and total disappointment. For dessert that night I made a fried egg sundae (also from Family Fun), it was cool whip with lemon pudding in the middle. She wouldn't touch it, now she didn't trust me.
One year we ate our meals backwards. So, for breakfast we had ribs in BBQ sauce and eggs or something for dinner. So, when I found a recipe for Fauxberry pie I knew I had found this years prank! Shelby still doesn't trust me when it comes to dinner on April Fool's day, but it was still fun. The pie is supposed to be Shepard's pie, but it has cocoa powder, molasses and BBQ sauce mixed in with the hamburger so the meat part is a little sweet. The "frosting" is once again mashed potatoes colored with beets.
I love our April Fool's day tradition. Mostly because its something I started on my own, my kids love it, and look forward to it every year. Last year I don't think I did anything and they were disappointed. We always look back on the year of the meatloaf cupcakes with great fondness.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too funny. I wish I could do that and get away with it. That would be the end of enjoyable dinners at our house. John will eat anything. He would and has eaten the same thing for dinner 3 nights in a row and loved it. But when you throw in the psychological side of it I would be in trouble. If he bit into something thinking it was cake and it was not even close to cake he'd never be able to touch cake or the meatloaf again. We had a halloween dinner one year and part of the menu (from Family Fun)was witch fingers (chicken fingers with green olives for the fingernails) and boogers on a stick (pretzel sticks dipped in cheese whiz colored green-blah)he couldn't look at it let alone touch it. Even though he knew what it really was the visual was too much to handle.

Tiffanie said...

I love that you do fun things for April Fools Day, I mostly ignore it. I wonder what Carter would do if I pulled something like that on him....probably cry :-)

ashley said...

That's such a cute idea! I love it.

garrett said...

I think it's awesome! I think I might steal this tradition from you when I've got a family and kids.