Monday, April 28, 2008

Saturday Sentiments on a Monday/Topaz Mountain



I want to first thank everyone for your response to my last post. I was totally in a mood, and writing it down does help me feel better, I'm just usually not so public about admitting faults. It really is nice to know that I'm not the only one that struggles with these things.

Now, onto other things. This weekend we went to Topaz Mountain with some friends, and family. Darren had taken the scouts there last fall. Afterwards, he and the other leaders wanted to take their families back for another trip. We had a great time! We went the the Davis', Fletchers, and Palmers(even though we didn't really see them much) and Darren's brother Brett, and his family. Brett brought his 4-wheelers that everyone loved, especially the kids. Even Sarah learned to drive, and Shelby quickly became a pro. We dug, sifted, and broke rocks looking for Topaz, and found some really nice pieces. I'm wondering what do do with them now. (Jared, do you have any ideas-hint, hint?)

I'm combining this with my Saturday Sentiments because it really made me happy to spend time with my family and friends. I thought about how happiness really can come from small things, like sitting in the dirt looking for things that sparkle. The time spent together and relationships that are strengthened are priceless treasures.

I also have a new appreciation for how hard my parents had to work when we went camping as a family. The kids, just enjoy themselves while parents are preparing meals, setting up camp and everything else. But, its so worth it to watch them have a good time.

I really love camping, as long as I don't have to sleep on the ground, can stay warm, and have a toilet. I am really looking forward to our next trip. Darren is already scoping out new rock hounding spots!

3 comments:

Jared said...

I'm not sure what you want me to do with your topaz...grind it up and mix it into a glaze? Which could be interesting because I think there is fluorine in it (I'm such a ceramics nerd for knowing that!) which can make for nice colors, but tends to make a lot of bubbles in melted glass. I guess if you had the stones cut and polished a person could make jewelry out of it, but the only person I know who can do that around here has a CTR ring to make for his brother that will probably take about a year to finish at my current pace. :) Glad you had a fun weekend! I especially liked the part about how you like to camp as long as there are no tents, campfires, bugs, and the turn-down service arrives promptly at 8pm! I can really rough it and camp like camping was meant to be done, but I definitely prefer the comfort of a nice hotel when I travel.

garrett said...

Looks like you guys had fun! I was wondering what happened to your Saturday Sentiments... And yeah, get in line for Jared's jewelry makin' skills. :-)

Tiffanie said...

I am so glad you guys had a good time, and I am sad we missed it. Let us know when you go again, we really would like to come. Sarah learned to drive a 4 wheeler, seriously? I have never even done that!