Thursday, May 22, 2008

Lord of the Rings



What has Shelby so engrossed? Well she is a kid parked in front of the TV so it could be any thing.



Its Lord of the Rings. When we came home from our Topaz trip I wanted to just relax and watch Fellowship of the Ring. So, that's what we did. I had to take a short break to speak at a fireside, but we finished the first movie later (much later) that night. We spent the next two evenings watching the other two movies. Shelby decided that she wanted to read the books. I thought "Sure, go ahead and give them a try". I read Fellowship of the Ring a couple of summers ago, and it took me the whole summer, and I had to watch the movie a couple of times, while I was reading, to figure out what was going on. I thought it was great that she wanted to give the books a try. Much to my surprise she has read all three books in three weeks! My question the whole time was "Does she understand what she is reading?", but she and Darren would discuss the books every night. I guess she knew what she was reading. She has now decided to memorize some of the poems that are in the books. I am floored! Who's kid is this? Oh yeah she's Darren's. I'm just excited about all the ways we can use this as part of school, its so awesome!

No comments: