Saturday, May 10, 2008

Saturday Sentiments


My thoughts today are about scrabooking. I love it! I started scrapbooking about 6 months after Darren and I got married. My sisters in law invited me to scrapbook with them at what was then Paper Hearts in Sandy (now its Pebbles in My Pocket). I was instantly hooked and even dreamed that night about a page that I wanted to make the next time I scrapbooked. Once Shelby was born, it just got even better! I quickly recruited my mom and sisters. I don't get to scrapbook as often as I would like, but mostly because I just don't let myself (which is a whole other issue I have). I try to have a set time, but that doesn't always work. It works best for me if I have a scheduled time to meet with friends or family to scrapbook.
I've been reading a book called "The Organized and Inspired Scrapbooker". It talks about figuring out what inspires you and why you scrapbook. So I have posted pictures of what is inspiring to me that I keep in my scrapbook area. I should give some credit to Mandi. The ribbon ladder was totally her idea as was the vinyl Shipley with our names on top of it. I love looking at my ribbon jars, ribbon is just happy. I was talking with Carma once about her favorite photography store, she compared it to how I would feel walking into a ribbon store. As I thought about that I kept visualizing the joy of walking into a store completely dedicated to ribbon. Now that would be FUN! Everything on the black cabinet is something I love, reminds me of someone special, or just makes me happy to look at.
Now why do I scrapbook? Well I've come to realize that I love the stories. I love to tell stories. When I look through a scrapbook magazine I hold the magazine as close as I can so I can read the stories that go a long with the picture. For me its not about all the cute stuff, however I do love the cute stuff too, but the stories are what make a scrapbook. I have lots of albums to tell lots of different stories. One of my favorites is Sarah's "I'm just 3" album. I'm so far behind chronologically that I made this album first, so that she could see pictures of herself that weren't just baby pictures. Second, because three year olds are such stinkers, but they say and do the funniest things and I didn't want to forget. When I scrapbook I look at the pictures and remember great times and how much I love my family no matter how crazy they have made me that day. To me that makes scrapbooking special.

2 comments:

Nettie said...

What a fun way to display your ribbon! I feel the same way about ribbon, but I didn't do so well with the scrapbooking thing.

Cute blog!

love for seven said...

You are an amazing scrapper! I have always admired that about you, and wished that some of it had flooded over onto me. I love Sarah's album. I remember when you put it together, you were so excited. I have enjoyed looking at your albums. And, I always know who to call if I need ribbon, although that doesn't mean you will let any of it go!