Saturday, May 17, 2008

Saturday Sentiments

My thoughts today aren't particularly sentimental, but its still something that makes me happy. So, sit back and enjoy a look into my twisted mind.

I love angry music. Not angry teenager, I guess I would call it melodic angry music. I've written about music before, so maybe I'm being redundant, but oh well. My favorite angry song of all time is "I alone" by Live. They are a great band for angry music, they have mellowed a bit since getting married and having kids but still good stuff. Fall Out Boy, Panic! at the Disco, Nickleback (to a point, they do turn angry teenager after a while) are all good. Once screaming starts in a so called "song" I'm done, but just general being pissed off is fun.

Along with this comes the angry break- up song. No, Micheal Bolton "How am I supposed to live without you" crap. More a long the lines of "You big jerk, you stomped on my heart, don't come near me ever again." kind of song. Erasure's "Love to Hate You" is one of my all time favorite angry break up songs. I know when you think of angry music Erasure isn't exactly what pops into your head, but I'm not hear to make sense of this. I'm just telling you how it is. I'm not sure why I like the angry break-up song, its not like I've had my heart stomped on mercilessly. The closest thing I've had to a broken heart was when Darren went on his mission, that was painful, but he did come back and now here we are Happily ever after. Maybe I just live vicariously through other people, I don't think I delight in others else's pain. So, there you have it. As Jack Nicholson says in As Good As it Gets "Its not that your mad you had it so bad, Its that your pissed everyone else had it so good." or something like that.

3 comments:

Kelly Hill said...

I love it! I'm surprised by it, but I love it!! I think I understand the logic of anger-filled lyrics. I'd probably have to hear what you're referring to before I could make that educated of a stance but I'm guessing I don't like that type of music.

This is fun! I love getting to know everyone better through this blog world.

Jared said...

It's easier not to be wise
and measure these things by your brains.

garrett said...

I LOVE angry music. I even like a bit of screaming now and then. But I sometimes like that sort of indy, folky type break-up music. There's this song called Sampson by Regina Spektor that I'm totally addicted to right now. But the angry music is better. That emotional stuff just makes you sad. Angry music is like a release.