Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Random Thoughts

On Saturday someone I don't know posted a comment on my blog. So, I thought I would check out her blog. She had a link to a site called The Pioneer Woman. I was checking it out yesterday and she has a story on her blog about how she met her husband. I was hooked. Every spare moment I could find I was reading the next installment to this woman's story. The thing, I think, that really gets me is how great it is read about someone that loves their life and is in love with their husband. So much of what is on TV and everywhere isn't like that, its refreshing to find people that are happy. So, should you decided to check it out, you've been warned-it could be addictive, if your into that kind of chick flick story. She also has a cooking section on her site and I made the apricot bars (only I used orange marmalade because thats what I had), and they were so good, especially followed by a glass of milk. Plus, she lives on a ranch, and ever since I read Laddie, I have thought that would be a great life.

Today as I was driving home from the gym I noticed that the price of gas had gone up ten cents since Monday! I have already cut back on how often I go to the gym because of the price of gas, plus with warmer weather I love running/walking up the hill on Lake Mountain. We have been trying to be very careful with our money lately, especially since it doesn't go as far as it used to. So, as I was lamenting the price of gas a thought came to me. I think it is a good that I now take a closer look at what I'm going into town for. Staying home forces me to slow down and slowing down allows time to be quiet and think. The last two and a half weeks have been filled with more insight and personal inspiration, and a strengthening of my testimony, that I have missed in the craziness of life. I think its true that distraction is a tool of the devil, if our lives are so full that we can't be still, we can't hear the Holy Ghost, we may be missing out on something Heavenly Father would have us know. So, today I am grateful that the price of gas is forcing me to slow down, enjoy my life, and feel what Heavenly Father would have me feel.

5 comments:

Tiffanie said...

odd the way "tender mercies" come about in our lives - not in the way we would have always thought or wanted, but still just as needed.

Kelly Hill said...

For the longest time now, each time I'm in my vehicle, I turn the radio off and listen to nothing but silence. It doesn't matter how far I'm traveling either. I have found that I hate the distraction. I have some of my most personal and heartfelt prayers while I'm alone in my car, in the stillness (even when I'm driving). I have been more spiritually minded at those times and have received MUCH inspiration and revelation just by turning off the noise and listening.

I cherish those moments more than any other. Thanks for sharing your random thoughts, I admire you so much!!!

Kelly Hill said...

The more I'm thinking about things the more I realize that my comment didn't relate all that much. You talked about the need to not be in your vehicle and I talked about being in mine. Either way I guess you understand what I'm saying... that slowing down and inviting the spirit through stillness (whether during an expensive trip into town or on our couch) is an incredible privilege that we have. We need to draw upon the powers of heaven more in our lives, especially in these times of economic stress, and any time that we can do that is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your random thoughts. I have so many I have a hard time keeping up with them. I do love the stillness. I am learning to find more of it. My favorite time right now is after I drop the kids off at school it is Kassidy's naptime. I turn off my ringer and enjoy the quiet. If I could just quiet my mind so I could receive more inspiration that would be great.

baum5 said...

Hi Emity, that is so funny cuz just last week I was up until 2am reading the Pioneer Womans Love Story (my sis-in-law checks out her blog quite frequently and told me about how funny she is) I haven't finished the story yet, I'll have to go back and see how it plays out ;)

Hope Shelby wasn't too embarrassed
that she and Lexi had on the same dress Sunday. Lexi thought it was pretty Cool! LOL